Contributors

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Value Studies for Concept Art Factory

Hey everyone! Today I am posting my value studies for the selected silhouettes from last week's post. My theme is smuggler and law men in space.

Smuggler- Protagonist

I am really liking the smuggler's asymmetrical design because it enhances his villainous qualities. He starts off as a black and white character but gradually becomes morally grey as he betrays the people he works for. I kinda liked the scaled plates since they remind me of a snake or serpent which illicit a strong connotation of villany, but I felt that the one with the bamboo-like armor represents a more slapdash assortment of items. The story is designed for a game so the character should be customizeable which means this character is a stock character (the character players start off with before they customize him/her). In the final design I will make him modular once I have the design for the props completed. So stay tune for the final illustration!

Lawman- Antagonist
The lawman was giving me some problems in the beginning because I wanted something tough but also space worthy. My initial designs featured a man in a powersuit with armor reminescent of judge dredd. As i designed more and more, logistics made it seem odd as to why a law man would be wearing such bulky armor. The concept of armor is more for mercenaries and soldiers rather than a lawman. As a result, I turned to more down to earth references like SWAT and rangers which I feel yielded better results. The final value study depicts the law man with an open jacket with a badge, shin guards and elbow guards for roughin' it, and his wide brim hat. Since the character has an open jacket, he seems rather relaxed so to keep the idea of some professionalism, the hat is designed to look straight and stiff. I will be doing some value studies next week so wait for more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment