Contributors

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Heroes of the Storm: Nova vs Diablo

Hi guys,

So last time I submitted my Abathur vs Tyreal piece ahead of time and had another 9 days to do some work. Unfortunately I lost about 1 week of time because I volunteered at the CMON Expo. So I spent about 2-3 hours a day for the remaining days to finish this piece. Instead of doing a large environment pieces, I decided to crop in for a character based painting. Diablo is really fun to do with all the textures and fire effects on his body. Nova was a bit of a challenge because of the foreshortening for her body. Also trying to come up with a cloaking effect for her body took some time. I ended up playing around with some layer effects to simulate the warping light displays and caustics.

During the sketch phase, I wasn't too fond of the fact that Nova's gun runs into Diablo. If I gave them more room, the composition might look better. That said, I am liking the lighting so far.


I moved the two characters apart so they have more breathing room. I also gave Nova her signature sniper rifle. I spend a lot of time refining details on Diablo. I tried some layer effects to make Nova look transparent and shimmery. It was a lot of fun painting all the details without having to rely on phototextures like my other projects. Definitely took a longer time, but I am glad that I still have the ability to paint details without using photos as a crutch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment